Wednesday is Greenmarket day at NYBG! Our local purveyors are back with an abundance of fresh goods until 3 p.m. Today’s market features tomatoes, eggplants, cantaloupe, fresh garlic, potatoes, green bell pepper, and plums—plus baked goods including gluten-free options!
Today includes another visit from Montefiore Community and Population Health, who are providing free body mass index (BMI) screenings as well as nutritional counseling on how to stay healthy. It’s a beautiful day to enjoy the grounds and make healthy choices at the Greenmarket!
Summer is salad season, so we found a recipe that uses a delicious seasonal fruit—plums—to make a fresh and light summer snack. Click through to see a quick and easy recipe for buffalo mozzarella with balsamic glazed plums, pine nuts, and mint.
Buffalo Mozzarella with Balsamic Glazed Plums, Pine Nuts, and Mint
Recipe via Food52
- 1 large ball buffalo mozzarella, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 4 ripe plums, pitted and quartered
- 1 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 splash olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Put vinegar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Adjust heat to low and simmer until it is reduced nearly three-quarters in volume and thickened to a syrup. About 15 minutes.
- Add plums to syrup turning gently to coat and continue to cook for another 4–7 minutes more. Turn off heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile assemble mozzarella slices on platter, allowing to overlap slightly and season with salt and pepper to taste. With a fork, remove plums from syrup and place atop cheese, then top with the remaining syrup, pine nuts and mint. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
Serves 4 to 6
Everyone knows plums are delicious in pastries, but these versatile fruits can be used in a variety of healthy recipes that are perfect for summer. Come down to the Greenmarket and begin your next nutritious meal!
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.